venerdì 2 marzo 2018

Pyeongchang 2018: considerations of a would-be spectator


It's the moment in which a sense of emptiness pervades all sport-sick people like me: the Winter Olympics are over. As I said, I had considered going to Pyeongchang, but I immediately gave up the idea: I couldn't even find the hourly program, and I'm talking about September, not years ago. Let's not even talk about travel and accommodation information.


In these days I often wondered what it would be like to be there. It is not easy to answer, given the low budgets of all the main media and the consequent shortage of correspondents from Korea. For what I could see, also when I tried to book, the impression is that it was one of the events in which the common spectator was seen as most disturbing. Surely one would not expect to see all these empty spaces on the stands of an Olympics, as if they were games of the Italian football league. Especially in cross-country: even if I hate mass starts, they did not deserve the desert we saw. Even find tickets for the hockey final was not so complicated, Kostner said

It must not have been easy, however, to attend the outdoor races, with -15° C, wind and sometimes even snow. Above all the biathlon, which also must have been suggestive at night. For Moioli, however, it would be worth it. I should have watched snowboardercross in Vancouver, but my grandstand was destroyed by a landslide.

The sport that I would have liked to see is definitely the short track, a national sport in Korea. I've been to see the world championships in Milan a few years ago: I was expecting crowds of Koreans, and maybe Chinese and Canadians, and instead maybe I was the only one who travelled, apart from relatives and friends of the athletes. I would have liked to see long track too, for the atmosphere (as I was telling for Turin), but I would have been disappointed, I would never have thought to go to watch 10,000 meters.

Even the opportunity to watch the hockey final without organizing a year in advance would have been tempting: when would it happen again? Then there was Kostner and the Russian skaters, but for those there are the World Cup in Milan ...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento