lunedì 12 febbraio 2018

Winter Olympics in Turin (2006): part 3 - ice sports

Clicca qui per la versione italiana

The Winter Olympics have come: the American trip is over, it's time to finish my story of Turin 2006, talking about ice sports.

If I remember correctly, the first one I saw was short track. I was very curious to see it, I always found it spectacular on TV. I remember the bronze in the female relay, arrived when we did not hope it anymore, thanks to the obstruction of the Chinese skater on Arianna Fontana immediately after the last exchange. Stupid mistake: almost certainly Fontana would not rally. Korea and Canada were out of reach, because you know, as Lineker would say (with his famous saying about football), short track is a sport where some people turn round on ice and at the end the Koreans win. The venue, Palavela, was beautiful

The most surprising experience was long-track speed skating at the Oval. In fact, I discovered that the entrance to the Oval was also a virtual boundary, which lead into Dutch territory. International long-track races, in fact, wherever they are in the world, it's as if were always held in the Netherlands, because Dutch cheering is always the most heard one. There was also the band, a very big one. The race was the one in which, at the time I bought the tickets, 9 months earlier, it seemed we had more chances: women's 1000 meters. At the time, in fact, Fabris was unknown and #1 of Italy was considered Simionato, who instead came 13 ^.

I saw two hockey games (in Turin it was possible, in Vancouver instead men's hockey was inaccessible): one with Sweden and one with the Czech Republic, the first with much more public. The thing that has remained most impressed was the venue: PalaIsozaki is the most beautiful arena in Italy, at least of those I have seen (but I have seen them all the main ones).

I saw the 3rd and 4th runs of women's bobsleigh, with the bronze of Weissensteiner, who entered the restricted club of medal winners in two different sports. At the same time Fabris won the gold in the 1500 of skating, the only medal of the second week that I did not attend. Of course, only a small part of the course (no more than 15%) was visible live and, as in all sports like this you need to remember when to stop looking at the screen and switch to live viewing. You really feel the speed, even more than in motorcycling.

I came back with the desire to repeat the experience, and in fact I repeated it in Vancouver, even if that time I went in the first week. Then the series broke off, and I do not know if and when I can restart it

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento