giovedì 17 ottobre 2019

World Athletics Championships in Doha - Day 8

Clicca qui per la versione italiana I thought I had good days at the stadium, but this beats them all. Sorry for the final disappointment on the Corniche. But let's proceed orderly. Afternoon at Souq Waqif (which if this were a tourist blog I would say it is a must-visit): you meet so many team members, from Italians to Americans. Arriving at the stadium more than an hour before (I was thinking of exploring the surroundings) there is a crowd never seen before: we understand that it is not a day like any other, if for us it is Tamberi's day (and I have the my usual half-shave) a fortiori for them is Barshim's day.


This time there is really queue at the entrances, both at those for families, and at those for single men, a little less at that for single women. I fear having to give up eating (although I am not so hungry), instead the queue ends up quickly and I have time: I arrive at my seat around 8pm (start is at 8.05). I measured that the route to get to the seat is 1.7 km, and yesterday was even longer. This time the stadium is almost completely full, perhaps only my block is a little less. Bernard Lagat, who talks about his preparation for the Olympic marathon, sits next to me. In front of me I have a family with two children: the older watches the races, the younger (no more than 3 years od) cartoons on a tablet.


They start with the semifinals of the 1500, both fought and with very tight closes. Then comes the presentation of high jump finalists: after Barshim, Tamberi is the most applauded, not only by the group of Italians at the end of the first bend, but also by the Qatariis and the Kenyans of the bend. After the presentation, however, they continue with warm-up: the race will start 15 minutes late. Barshim clears 2.19 by a wide margin, and so far almost everyone does, though he most of all. But then he does the same at 2.24, then at 2.27, then at 2.30. Meanwhile Tamberi easily clears 2.19 (celebrating as if he had done at least 2.30), then 2.24 (without celebration), at 2.27 he needs the second attempt. At 2.30, after the first miss he goes directly to 2.33: he isn't very far from clearing them, especially on first attempt, but he doesn't. He ends up eighth.



A 2.33 Barshim flies very high twice, but then he brings down the bar first with his calves and then with his heel. Meanwhile, Nedasekau, after còearing three heights on second, clears them on first. At the third Barshim puts things right: they remain in 4, there are also the two Russians. Barshim flies clearly above 2.35 (but the Russians do too), then above 2.37 (and remains alone). He looks in a world record shape, but he stops and celebrates.


Meanwhile the heats of 4X100 had taken place, first women's, then men's. Italian girls come sixth, therefore out, but not far from the fourth and fifth. Given the time of the winners, it is clear that even Italy's one must be good: in fact, 42.90! For the first time below 43. We will then discover that Brazil has been disqualified and therefore we are in the final. Among men, Italy is in the "iron" heat, with USA, Great Britain; Jamaica and Brazil: we arrive fourth, ahead of Jamaica and not far from the USA. The result does not appear on the screen, so I have to look at the website to find out that we have made the Italian record: 38.11. A dubious change of the US is shown several times, but you cannot see enough from my position to judge. I think it's done: it's science fiction that in the second heat 5 make less than 38.11. Instead in the second they all come close and, looking at the time of the winner, I understand that it may have happened. In fact in 6 fell below 38: with 37.91 one is out of the final!






It was also held in the final of the women's discus, which aroused little interest, also because, among the countries that relied on this race, only Germany was represented in the public, and the best German came 8th. The Cubans Perez and Caballero pass each other several times, then the former wins. Johnson-Thompson's victory ceremony os held, and the anthem is sung: the British are always the most numerous. At Kaul's victory ceremony, the German anthem is also heard a little (on this occasion I discover that the family in front of me is also German) and I sing it too: after all, I haven't had the chance to sing the Italian anthem at a world athletics championship for 16 years and I have to vent in some way.



Another expected race was the women's 400hs final, with the duel Muhammad-McLaughlin. We immediately see that they are of another category: Muhammad arrives on the final straight in the lead, then McLaughlin approaches, but remains behind. Time 52.16: world record!


After 3000st won at the photofinish by Kipruto of Kenia, to Lagat's delight, they close with the 400. Gardiner and James start fast, but only the former holds until the end and closes at 43.48: a better time than in London, where there were so many expectations.
Surprisingly, the Colombian Zambrano comes back to silver: another country before us in the medal table.


I have about an hour to get to the Corniche and, seeing the traffic, I understand that it will not be easy. I first take the 32 (this time full, especially of Kenyans) then a taxi, which leaves me in the area around 11.20pm. As I approach the competition area, I see few people and I take it for granted that the race has been postponed, like the women's one. Instead, I find that it started regularly: I simply hadn't arrived at the race course (the road is closed much before).

I struggle to find a place near the finish: I find it near an Australian with the "official" tag, to whom her teammates bring snacks from the VIP area. Compared to the women's race, the group remains bigger for longer. After the first attempt of a Chinese, the Japanese Yamanishi takes off: he seems on his way for a lone ride, but towards the 11th kilometer he loses a few seconds, but it is a temporary crisis, then he will continue to gain until the finish.

Stano is in the group of pursuers and appears to be in good condition. His coaches make their way to give advice ro him, but around the 12th km they tell him to slow down. I immediately understand why: he has the second warning. He doesn't listen to them and he gets a two minute penalty, and yet he didn't seem to be walking worse than the others, especially the Turkish seemed to me definitely worse: another medal chance is fading, for a moment I also think of leaving.

From the 15th km, with lapped walkers, you don't understand anything anymore, so much that in the end the fourth place will be awarded to a German whom nobody had noticed and I still have some doubts that he arrived really fourth.

Tomorrow I leave again immediately after the marathon, we will hear from hom






Nessun commento:

Posta un commento