venerdì 18 giugno 2021

Euro2020 : Italy - Switzerland (16-06-2021)

Clicca qui per la versione italiana

From the instructions on the app, I understood that I couldn't go to the stadium as I usually did. The only way to go by car was to leave it in a parking lot in Tor di Quinto and take the shuttle. Unfortunately they didn't give the address of the parking lot. For those who entered from my side, however, they suggested walking from the Ottaviano underground station (2.2 km) or taking the shuttle from Cipro (also intended as an underground station). I chose the latter solution.

Compared to the other times I had seen the national team, I had one more problem: what to wear. In 1980 the problem certainly did not arise: not even in 1982 and 2000, but moreover, those times it was winter and only the coat would be seen. The only garment I have dedicated to the national team is the 2006 World Cup celebration t-shirt: I'm wearing that. I had also thought of wearing the tricolor bib taken in Seefeld, but it shows logo and date of that event. Backpacks are not allowed, unless they are the size of an A4 sheet, so I carry the flag in my hand

Until 3-4 stops from the end, I don't see anyone going to the stadium: I don't remember it ever happening to me for a sport event of this level, especially a football match. Once at Cipro, you can easily find a seat on the shuttle: there are few people standing. There is also a group of Swiss: approaching the gates I will notice that the Swiss are a lot and inside the stadium they will occupy almost entirely some sectors and will be at least one third of the total. Among these, two with a very particular outfit, which the steward at the entrance will define "from Dancing with the Stars". There are also many mixed Swiss-Italian groups.


When the shuttle arrives, the stadium is not even visible, but the entrance is actually quite close. The entrance is the same as for the tennis Centre Court, so to get to the stadium you have to cross the entire Foro Italico. It is necessary to enter a certain time slot: mine is 7.30-8pm. I arrive at 7.20: I have to wait. There are two checkpoins at a distance of a few meters: in both they check the ticket (on the mobile phone), in the first also the vaccination pass, in the second you are searched (I am twice). Arrived at the gates, you scan the ticket at the turnstiles (they have to explain to me where), then a new search. 

There is still time: I take samething to eat, but the queue is quite long, about twenty minutes. I meet a colleague, who is the one who finally convinced me to adopt this title for this blog. At 8.15 pm I'm inside. I am in the sector between the south terrace and the Monte Mario grandstand, very high up. The seats to be filled are one in two, in alternate rows, but many remain empty: I am the only one in my row. Even though many are seated close together, one gets the impression that they didin't even fill the programmed 25% of the seats. The Oltmpic Stadium, renovated with new colors, is hardly recognizable.



At 8.30 pm they already give the lineups, then they play "Un amore così grande" ("A so big love"), as performed by Negramaro. As the kick-off approaches, the excitement increases: although I am a live sports veteran, I was used to seeing these events only on TV. At a certain point a chorus for Capello starts, so I realize that he is on a stage above us. The anthems are played, with the lyrics superimposed: I then learn that the Swiss anthem has three lyrics, one for each language. Everyone sings the Italian anthem: it was only in Paris in 2003 that I heard it like this.


Started: Italy attacks from the side furthest from my position. The numbers cannot be seen well, so I distinguish the players mainly from how they look like (clearly Insigne is the easiest to distinguish) and from the position on the pitch. I haven't seen a live match for 16 months, it doesn't seem true to me that I can see the movements without the ball, I can see that Spinazzola is almost always free on the left while the game focuses on the right. At 20th there is a scramble in the area: it seems to me that the ball is in, but from so far I'm not sure, so before I cheer I wait for everyone to do it. There is a VAR check and I have no idea why: I think more of a foul, instead the goal is canceled for handball. We fix it six minutes later: Locatelli launches Berardi, who returns him the ball in the area: this time it's a goal without doubt, and it's wonderful.


At the end of the first half it seems impossible that we will not win, but I also think we are only 1-0, so nothing is decided. I think that in the second half they will play a little more on my side, but it will only be true in the first minutes, until Locatelli's second goal. The chorus starts for him, and I never in my life would have thought of listening to a chorus dedicated to Locatelli (probably not even him, at least at these levels). But then Switzerland will attack more, so they will play again more on the other side. You can be really calm only with Immobile's 3-0, after a few missed opportunities.

As the end approaches, I ask myself: will you be able to go out freely or will they let you out few at a time? There is a steward right on the steps between my seat and the exit, so I think he will block me, instead they let us out without limitations. I see that you could take the shuttle without a long queue, but I prefer to walk to Ottaviano, to take something on the way.

It was wonderful, but the best thing is that it will repeat itself in 4 days 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento