martedì 22 giugno 2021

Euro2020: Italy - Wales (20-06-2021)

Clicca qui per la versione italiana 

The match starts at 6pm, but the ticket requires you to enter between 3pm and 3.30pm. On the underground I don't meet anyone who goes to the stadium and even the shuttle is almost empty: we are 4, all Italians. I arrive a few minutes before 3 pm: the entrance is still closed, there are about a hundred fans waiting, almost all in the blue jersey. As a result, when they open there is a bit of a queue - they recommend distancing. There are still two checkpoints: in the first they only check the ticket, in the second also the document and vaccination pass. At the second, the I am searched twice again, in not even 5 meters. Going towards the gates, there is hardly anyone: there is no queue at the turnstiles. immediately after, I face a third search. I stop at the bar, where they continually invite people to stay disanced, even people who have come together,

I'm in before 4pm. How long had I not been to a match, or a sporting event in general, so in advance? I think over 40 years: I remember a derby from my childhood, in which we arrived in the morning. It happened when the seats were not numbered, apart from the central grandstand. But not for Italy-Spain in the 1980 European Championship: then we had arrived at the last moment. I don't feel emotion of the other time: the match seems far away, I will begin to get into the mood about 40 minutes before.

I'm only 4 rows ahead of last time, but I have the sensation to see a lot better, especially during the warm-up and pre-match ceremonial. I don't think 4 rows affect that much, it probably depends more on more light. The two seats on my left remain empty (not counting those that had to be. empty anyway): I reinforce my impression that not even 25% of seats have been filled, also because a part of the Tevere grandstand and the stand between it and the north terrace will be almost completely empty. It is hard to find Welsh fans: there are two in the row in front of mine and on the other side there are three mini "guest sectors", with 20-30 fans each, surrounded by stewards.







The entertainment starts at around 4.30 pm with a DJ, but you don't hear much. Around 5 pm the warm-up begins: first 3-4 Welshmen enter, greeted by whistles, then the Italians, then the other Welshs. At 17.20 they give Italy's lineup, but absurdly in order of number (and without even showing thereafter the positions on the pitch, as is often seen on TV). In 1968 Anastasi had number 2, but I do not think he was announced immediately after Zoff. Bernardeschi is booed. The Welsh one will be announced about twenty minutes later. We get to the anthems, with subtitles: you don't understand anything about the Welsh one, being ... in Welsh: some words seem written by a cat jumped on the keyboard. You hear someone singing it, anyway. The Italian anthem will be heard very loud, perhaps even more than Wednesday. Before the kick-off, someone takes the knee, but from my position it is not possible to distinguish who does it and who doesn't: I will read later that there were 5 Italians and all the Welsh.

In the first half Italy attacks in the half closest to me and the ball will almost always remain there, even if the first corner kick will be from Wales. Compared to the last time there are some less well-known players, which I struggle to distinguish. I will struggle to distinguish especially Verratti and Jorginho, with similar numbers and build, until at some point, in the second half, I remember that I no longer have the problem because Jorginho is out. Lots of ball possession, but few shots: the team seems to be affected by the many changes. Then there is a free kick 25 meters from the goal, live it is not clear if someone touches it or not (two had gone close), but the ball is in. From the replay you will see that the deviation was by Pessina.


The first half ends 1-0. In the second half Italy continues to attack: there is a free kick with a very long preparation, the ball seems to hit the support of the goal, but from the replay I will discover that it has hit the post. Shortly after a Welshman (who I will find out to be Ramsey) arrives alone in front of Donnarumma, but misses the moment, which reminds me that we are still 1-0. Wales then remain in 10 for a foul that from my position did not seem very serious. At one point the scoreboard show the statistic of total attempts:14-2 for us, but Wales will have another chance. It ends with the goalkeeper change at the last minute, with Donnarumma coming out among boos.


In my sector they sing "To be number one", the song of the 1990 World Cup (but in Italian, with totally different lyrics), even people who were not yet born in 1990, hoping this time not to meet another Caniggia. We exit again without restrictions. Going towards the Ottaviano underground station I pass in front of Casa Azzurri: I think to in, but I see that there is a queue and you have to register, so I give it up.

Two matches, two wins. I'm sorry it's over now in Rome there is still a quarter-final (in any case without Italy), but I hadn't even tried to get the ticket, thinking I would be on holiday 


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento