sabato 5 agosto 2017

Fencing at the London Olympics (2012)

Clicca qui per la versione italiana

London was also my first and so far only experience at the Summer Olympics. I had long considered, since 2011, the idea of ​​going to see a week of races, then I could not arrange it. When, about a month before, they put the last tickets on sale, I thought I was going to see a race, traveling in the day. I took for granted, in fact, that it would be impossible to find an accommodation, so I was looking for a race that would allow me to go back in the same day: I was considering a diving race, which was around 1pm. Then I found that there were hotels available , so I thought I could arrive the night before, see a day of races and come back in the evening: I could not afford to take more than a day off.


The choice then fell on the women's foil: I had never seen live fencing and I was very curious to see the girls of the blue "Dream Team". During the day preliminary round, quarter-finals and semi-finals were held, then in the evening, with a separate ticket, final for the first and third place.


So I came to London the night before, I slept in a hotel near Heathrow, then in the morning I went to the venue, Excel. I had just brought a backpack, as I would not know where to leave a suitcase, but I was afraid they would not let it in, after reading the terroristic instructions of the handbook about big backpacks, but there was no problem. At the exit of the city railway DLR's there was a long gangway to Excel, full of signs at the Abu Dhabi Fair Corporation (or was it Dubai?), which reminded  that they were the owners. The venue, used today for fairs, was made up of six buildings where six different sports were held: I remember that boxing and judo were close by.


Italy was obviously the great favorite of the race, after the triplet in the individual test. However, the daily program reminded us that we did not win at the last world championships and therefore forecasts were not so obvious. I arrived just in time for the preliminary round, in which Britain defeated Egypt. Then the quarter-finals began, which took place on four footsteps at the same time, which from my position I could see all pretty well. Of course I kept my eyes on the Italy match, but in the breaks I looked at the others. Italy walked with Britain, it seems to me 45-17. I was surprised thet they were playing the best ones, then I found that one substitution was allowed throughout the tournament (we used it in the final, in a race already decided) and not, as I thought, one for each match.


I had lunch in the foyer beside the palace, where historical fencing memorabilia were exhibited. But there was no alternative, I could not exit and re-enter the venue. I remember some fans dressed like Asterix. In the afternoon, the 5 ° -8 ° place semifinals were played  and then, at the same time, semi-finals 1 ° -4 ° place and final 5 ° -6 ° and 7 ° -8 °. Italy also walked with France, something like 45-22. Those who struck me more and see how wild, agonisticly speaking, our girls are: Errigo asked the instant replay on 17-3, Vezzali made a terrific setback for a thrust taken on 42-20.

After the semifinals, with regret, I had to go. From the airport I could follow the final, which was also easily won by Italy on Russia.

Source: Pianeta Scherma (for both)


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento