lunedì 29 gennaio 2018

NFL Pro Bowl: Day 3 - the game

Clicca qui per la versione italiana

We arrive at the stadium around 11.25. Parking lots, which cost up to $ 50, are already beginning to fill up. At the entrance I find out that backpacks are not allowed and I have to go back to the bus to leave it. Actually, when we registered, we were given a transparent bag , but I thought it was simply a gift, not that it had to be brought to the stadium.

The party takes place in a gazebo in front of the stadium. At about 12.15 we are warned that the "red carpet" is about to start, even if it's actually blue: we see QB Carr, but most of the players arrive around 1 o'clock. First the mascots show up: those of yesterday, but also some new ones, like the Philadelphia and the Kansas City ones. Cheerleaders come to see us: seen close, they are are normal girls (even a little short ), few would be noticed on the street.


Then come the "NFL legend": RB LaDainan (I hope it's written like that) Tomlinson and a LB whose name I did not understand. Tomlinson, interviewed, gives very diplomatic answers: as a reference person he quotes Jesus and as a favorite teammate he replies "my wife". Meanwhile, while the players are parading, a writing on a plane reminds us to prepare for the arrival of Jesus.


Around 1.45 we move towards the stadium. Pittsburgh remains the most represented team among the jerseys, but there are also some of the local university, Central Florida, and many historical jerseys: Earl Campbell, Payton, Aikman, up to Unitas. It took me a while to reach my place: I understood where it was, but not how to reach it. The stadium has 3 decks (I am at the last), but only the first one is a full one, and also on the ground floor the way was blocked in a point. The "seat" is a simple metal bench, without seats


We get to the start of the game, and the stadium has not filled up: there are still a few empty seats left in all the decks. The players are presented in team order: those who receive most applause are QBs, WRs, RBs, the Pittsburgh players and those of the Florida teams. Most than all probably Antonio Brown and Thielen.


I have time to see the first drive of each team, with TD of the NFC and FG of the AFC, then, towards the end of the first quarter, it starts to rain, and the stands are all uncovered. Someone leaves immediately, I try to resist a bit, but then the rain becomes too strong (I also have a fever). In the third deck there are not even screens (there were instead on the ground floor), so we do not know anything about the game. I can go back to my place in the middle of the second quarter, in time to see the TD on interception that puts NFC on a 17-3 lead.


It looks like a game of flag football: soft tackles, no pressure on kicks, no kick return. Punting is foreseen, but it is never done, so much so that one wonders why they have brought punters. NFC in the lead with 3 minutes remaining will also not punt, and this will probably cost them the game.


At halftime,
there is a performance of an artist unknown to me, the same who had sung the national anthem: he made a musical on Broadway and also won "Dancing with the Stars".


In the 4th quarter I am again forced to leave my place for a while. Then I come back, but 2 minutes from the end it starts to rain again strong: I resist until the winning TD of the AFC, then I run away: I get lost just the NFC final fumble. At the end I immediately go to the exit, I do not even know who was named MVP.


A game in conditions a bit disadvantaged, and certainly I expected more from the stadium, but it was worth it. If I ever have to repeat the experience, I would try to buy everything on my own, it should be feasible.













Nessun commento:

Posta un commento