Clicca qui per la versione italiana
The European
Championships in Birmingham ended in the best possible way for Italy: 22
medals, only 2 fewer than the previous edition, where we were competing at home
and, in an Olympic year, were giving the event greater priority than many
others. Without Jacobs’s injury, we would almost certainly have won the same
number of golds as in 2024 (okay, 2 of them in events
that did not exist then). I watched four evening sessions live (one of them
only partly, due to force majeure) and three morning sessions. Then I had to
switch to watching on TV and, although Sky did a good job with the customized
shots, it is never easy to adjust to seeing what broadcasters choose. This is
my assessment as a spectator, speaking about things under the control either of
the organizers or of European Athletics.
The ups
· Shuttles: very convenient; on the way there there was never a queue, and on the way back, even when the queue was long (the longest was on Tuesday evening), it moved quickly, 20 minutes or a little more. And on top of that, we always travelled seated, unlike at other events where the route was also longer, from the Winter Olympics to the Ryder Cup
· Food and drinks: there were many stands offering very
different products and, from what I saw, all of them were good (some more, some
less, of course). I ate Chinese, Spanish, German food and even a local
speciality, the “Cornish Pasty”, a pastry filled with
beer-braised meat and beans, which pleasantly surprised me, since, like most
Italians, I have always thought that “culinary speciality” and “British” do not
belong in the same sentence. The local media talked a lot about excessive
prices, but to me they did not seem excessive at all for being inside an event
(at the Ryder Cup everything was very expensive). Of course, for an
Italian, pizzas starting at £15 are a shock, but they don't cost much
less in restaurants. Most dishes were around £10–12. Drinks were cheaper, with
beers around £8.
·
Medical
station: of course, I
would gladly have done without writing this paragraph, since I would have
preferred not to have experienced it, but I must say they were very
professional and kind. Of course, I benefited from being the only patient; I
had the whole staff at my disposal. Incidentally, they never questioned whether
my case was serious enough to require their intervention, whereas I had many
doubts. Perhaps, however, they were a little too zealous in sending me to
hospital afterwards as well, given that I stayed there until 3:45 in the
morning.
The downs
·
Ticket
management: there was a lot
of talk about excessive prices, and in fact, at least for the first few days,
they were excessive: £103 for the second tier, on the straight opposite the finish.
However, I do not think the low attendance at the beginning can be explained by
this alone, since cheaper places were also empty. In any case, the problem
was not only the price: some sessions were first listed as sold out (and for
that reason I had decided to stay only until Friday: I had also bought a ticket
for Friday morning, but I knew it would be complicated to use it and in fact I
tdid not), then became available again, but by then I had booked my flight
and hotel. I also did not understand why on Thursday morning I had bought such a
bad seat: the cost? I do not think so; I could have spent the same as on the
other mornings. Were the other seats not available? Had I not understood from
the map how bad it was?
·
Race
walking events at the same time: I
mention this even though I only watched them on TV because I think it must have
been worse for live spectators: with four races taking place at the
same time, and on top of that on a 1 km circuit, it is impossible to follow
anything clearly.
·
Medal
ceremonies: I do not like the
double presentation of the medals, first immediately after the event and then
in the “medal plaza”. The medal plaza itself was in an out-of-the-way position
and almost looked like a town fair: the ones at Amsterdam 2016 and Rome 2024, which were similar,
nevertheless looked better.
·
Shuttle
booking: one drawback of
the shuttles was that the booking procedure was a bit cumbersome: a separate
transaction was needed for each session, and moreover, first all the
alternatives were shown, from car parks to public transport; you had to choose
and then book and pay. Then, one can discuss whether they could/should have
included them in the price, as at many other events (e.g. the Winter Olympics),
or perhaps allowed them to be purchased together with the ticket, even with a
supplement.





Nessun commento:
Posta un commento