Clicca qui per la versione italiana
This time,
even for the morning session, there is already a bit of a queue at the entrance
and my block is almost full, although others remain empty (and some of the
empty ones were among the cheapest, so it does not seem that the main issue is
the price): overall, for a morning session, there is a crowd. It is a combined
events day, so the crowd is different from the other days: there are many
Estonians and Germans, two Dutch people next to me, then the usual Swiss and
Irish fans, probably the only ones not here mainly for the decathlon. I am in
the seventh row, toward the beginning of the back straight: I can see the
decathlon long jump very well, even though I cannot see the measuring board of
the runway closest to the stand, the one for group B, and I cannot really make
out the distances on the other one either.
Then comes the
decathlon long jump. As I said, I can see the run-up and take-off very well,
and also the athletes coming over to speak with their coaches. There are
football-style chants for Neugebauer, who opens with 7.61 and improves to 7.82
on his third jump. Skotheim responds with 7.80. For two jumps Nonino is the
bettewr of the Italians with 6.91, then Dester manages 7.12 (I should mention that
there is always a sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker).
Meanwhile on the track there are the heats first of the women’s 400 metres, then of the women’s 200 metres. All the Italian women go through: in the 400, Bonora impresses, third in 51.27 in the fastest heat (in any case, only the time counted); in the 200, Kaddari runs her first convincing race of the season, winning in 23.14. In both cases, I wait to read the result to be sure it was them. The 800 metres semi-finals follow: in the second one Pernici leads from the front, but is caught in the closing stages. I think he has finished third, but then I see he is fifth and start swearing because I think he is out despite 1:43.84. Only when they show the summary do I understand that there were only two semi-finals, so he is in the final.
After the 800 metres the stadium begins to empty. I start thinking about moving toward the end of the straight to follow the decathlon shot put better, and when the discus also finishes I do so. The men’s 400 metres hurdles semi-finals are still to come too, but it makes little difference watching them from one side or the other. The stronger group is the one farther from my stand and it is not very easy to see even from here. At the same time as the finish of one semi-final, I glimpse Neugebauer taking the championship best performance away from Daley Thompson with 17.31. Meanwhile, in the 400 metres hurdles, Sibilio barely hangs on to second place; third would not have been enough, and Warholm controls the race.
In the evening
my seat is on the opposite side compared with the other days: it takes me much
longer to reach it and I see an area I had never seen before. I am just past
the finish line: at a major championship I have only been this close in Doha.
So I can see very well, besides the 110 metres hurdles, the decathlon high
jump, while for the hammer I can see the trajectory well, but not so much the
throw itself, because the circle is hidden by the high jump areas. The stand
around the finish area is full, the opposite one less so, but there are still
more people than on the other days. In my row there are Dutch and Belgian
spectators, farther ahead Germans and Poles, and many Finns around, as they
have two favourites in the hammer. The eclipse cannot be seen (and I had even
bought the special glasses), it is cloudy, but there is still a strange light.
I arrive when only the heptathlon high jump is under way, and it has not been going on for long: group A is at 1.93, group B, with the Italians, at 1.87. Dester looks very secure up to 1.96, clears 1.99 with a little difficulty, but still on his first attempt, then stops there, but he is still second in the group and eighth overall. Nonino does what he has to do and stops at 1.93. I then watch the 110 metres hurdles semi-finals, with the incredible elimination of Asjer Martinez (and also of the other Spaniard), but above all I see Fantini’s hammer land close to the second marker tape which, as I had imagined, was at 75 metres: 74.97, five metres more than the second best. At the end of the first round she was still leading by a metre and a half, then Kosonen overtook her. I stayed until halfway through the third round, with the other favourite, Tervo, definitely eliminated.
My evening of
athletics ended early: I was not feeling very well (I was struggling to
breathe) and decided to be checked over. Everything worked out for the best,
they were extremely kind, and I am better now. They also took me through areas
reserved for the athletes, and I saw some of them up close, including
Neugebauer. I also learned that there is a room reserved for combined events
athletes.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento